Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I’m half…get over it!

Okay, so here’s the thing. I’m half Chinese. I’M HALF FRICKIN CHINESE!!! GET OVER IT! I know I look white. But, I was raised by a single mom (Chinese), Chinese was my first language (didn’t speak English until preschool), grew up with my Chinese family (my white family lives in Florida – only met them once), ate a continent of Chinese food – okay, ate a lot of McDonald’s as well so that doesn’t count, wore my mother’s panty hose (not tights) with black mary jane Chinese shoes to 5th grade (omg…I can’t believe I just disclosed that – it was a very painful memory), you get the picture.

So one thing I hate is everywhere I go, if I’m with my mother or a relative, or happen to say something in Chinese, or have to say something in Chinese, I get the STARE GLARE. Do you know that glare? I know it all too well. Am I a frickin tourist attraction or the one eyed 5 nippled monkey in a cage? NO! I am not!!! STOP STARE GLARING!

I always dread going somewhere where I have to speak Chinese in public, especially with my cousin – let’s call her Sally. I’ll tell you why. Let’s say we’re at a Chinese restaurant. As soon as the server approaches our table, she will say something to me in Chinese that I will have to respond to. Lo and behold, the STARE GLARE!, followed by a plethora of questions, followed by whispering to their fellow Chinese servers, followed by 5 or 6 Chinese people STARE GLARING!!!

Sally loves it. Yep, LOVES it! And I realize it’s because she’s proud to show off her half Chinese half white cousin that speaks perfect mandarin. I get it. But darn it, I hate the stare glare!

No comments:

Post a Comment